control panel
Form: Application to extend stay in the UK: FLR(IR)

Updated: Updated application form and guidance notes.

This form covers some routes from ‘Form FLR(O)’. Please check you are applying on the correct form.

Use ‘Form FLR(IR)’ to apply to extend your existing visa to stay in the UK (also known as ‘leave to remain’) and to get a biometric residence permit.

The form is for these categories of visa:

  • visitors (except transit, Approved Destination Status and Permitted Paid Engagements visitors)
  • UK ancestry
  • domestic worker in a private household
  • domestic worker who is a victim of slavery or human trafficking
  • ...
  • parent of a Tier 4 (child) student
  • dependant joiners who are applying separately from the main applicant – dependants of a person who has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK, not including dependants of a person with leave under the points based system or dependants of a person in the UK with leave on the basis of family or private life
  • relevant civilian employee
  • member of an Armed Force who is subject to immigration control (course F)
  • dependant of a member of Armed Forces which are not HM Forces (dependants of a member of HM Forces should complete FLR(AF))
  • locally engaged staff of a diplomatic mission
  • representative of an overseas business
  • retired person of independent means
  • any other application for leave to remain that is within the Immigration Rules but is not covered by another form

Check the Immigration Rules if you are not sure whether your leave is on a route under the rules.

To make an application on the basis of your family or private life please use form FLR(FP).

To make an application for human rights claims, leave outside the rules and other routes not covered by other forms please use form FLR(HRO).

You should read the FLR(IR) guidance notes before you apply.